NRL Mastercam Design Challenge
Open to Student Teams in Grades 9 – 12
Eight winning school teams will receive a $1000 grant for Bot building
The National Robotics League (NRL) and Mastercam invite high school student teams to design their own ultimate 15lb Combat
Bot. Even with the uncertainties out there, innovation and creativity should never stop – we need these traits and values now more than ever. Design, and innovation in design, remains a critical component of the manufacturing process; everything we interact with in our modern technological world has been created by someone identifying a need, and creating a solution.
Team applications must be submitted online at https://form.jotform.com/BPadnos/nrlchallenge20 by December 1, 2020. Each application must include the contact information of an adult teacher /coach, an engineering drawings set(s), and the following answers:
- Influences on Bot Design: What inspired your Bot design – was it from previous experience or from what you have seen on TV or in videos?
- Offensive Capabilities of the Bot: How is your Bot going to inflict damage on other Bots?
- Defensive Capabilities of the Bot: How is your Bot going to prevent damage by other Bots?
- Winning: Why would your design help you to win a battle?
- Research: What determined the best design for this Bot?
- Pros and Cons of your Bot Design: What is the good and bad of your Bot design?
- Refinement: What changes were made during the Bot designing process, and why?
All Bot designs must be in accordance with the technical rules and regulations of the NRL program, which can be found at https://gonrl.org/resources/competition-rules-regulations/. Please note that the NRL prohibits Bots with weapons that are projectiles, cause entanglements and utilize heat or fire.
Each of the winning teams will receive a $1000 grant to be able to build their Bot and compete in an NRL sanctioned competition.
The eight team winners will be selected by a panel of experienced Mastercam engineers and professional Combat Bot builders, including Andrea Gellatly from Team Witch Doctor.
For questions related to the NRL Mastercam Design Challenge, email Bill Padnos, at email@example.com.
Submit your application at https://form.jotform.com/BPadnos/nrlchallenge20 by December 1, 2020